Carroll County in the Revolution
At the time of the American Revolution, Carroll County had not yet been formed,
its lands split between Baltimore and Frederick Counties. The boundary between the two
counties generally followed the southwest-northeast direction of the main
geographic feature of Carroll County, Parr’s Ridge.
Parr’s Ridge serves as a barrier that separates the watersheds of the Potomac
and Patapsco Rivers.
During the struggle for American Independence, political
subdivisions in Maryland below the level of county were called hundreds.
The system of hundreds had a long tradition going back to medieval times,
and was still in use when Carroll County was established in
The map shown on this page shows the political subdivisions
for Carroll County during the Revolution., overlaying on the physical layout of
the county the known hundreds, roads, and towns (or settled areas that would eventually become towns) that were then in existence. This
is provided to give the reader a better understanding of the region in that
era. Due to the sometimes limited details available, the roads, boundaries and
town locations should be considered approximate.
Maryland State Geographic Committee.
MarylandState Highway Administration Maps.
Early Frederick Co. Maps .
Central/Eastern Hundreds, 1763.
"The Counties of Maryland, Part V."
Maryland Geological Survey (1906).
Horvath, Ann and George. Map of Hundreds of Baltimore County.
This page last updated 31 JUL 2006